Living the Gospel each day.
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Primary School was founded by the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul in 1859 to provide for the needs of Catholic families within this part of the Diocese of Westminster by providing an environment where the Gospel values of Christ are experienced by the whole school community.
We aim at St. Vincent de Paul to:
Create a happy and stimulating working environment which
encourages children to develop and fulfil their own potential.
Encourage and instill in children an excitement and awareness
of the world around them.
Provide equal opportunities for all children to acquire, through a
broad and balanced curriculum, the appropriate reading, writing
and mathematical skills to equip themselves for a wider world.
Encourage children to develop an awareness of themselves and sensitivity to the needs of others.
Foster and encourage children's Catholic Christian beliefs and to develop an understanding and tolerance of other religious faiths and cultures.
The constitution of the school states:
Religious observances and education in the school shall be in accordance with the rites and practices and doctrines of the Catholic Church". The Bishop and governors of the school intend that pupils should receive an education of a high standard provided by teachers dedicated to the task of the Christian formation of children and young people in an atmosphere grounded in Gospel values and the message of Christ.The governors have agreed that all parents seeking a place for their child at the school will be asked to sign a form to signify that they understand and accept this statement of purpose and aims.
The foundation of St Vincent de Paul RC Primary School dates back to 1859 when the school was founded by the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.In June 1859, Sister Marie Chatelain, who had nursed in the Crimea with Florence Nightingale, arrived in London with a small band of Sisters. The Sisters moved into 8 York Street (now known as Petty France) and on 19 July 1859, at a Mass celebrated by Cardinal Wiseman, the first child was admitted. The Sisters established an orphanage as well as a day school for local Catholic children, which continued to grow when the Sisters moved to Park Street and then to Carlisle Place.